Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tip Our Hats to Tuesday!

It's hard to believe that your child's third grade year is coming to a close. We had a great day today and got several activities completed.
Tonight's responsibilities are as follows:
Math-workbook page 207
Remember Explorer Project
Review division sheet
Spirit Day


I am looking forward to seeing the finished products about the many explorers in history to present day. We will display them in the third grade hallway for all to see. The children will also have a chance to present the project to the class. So tonight they may want to practice what they are going to say. They just can't stand up and read the 10 facts on the sheet. But they will need to share the various elements of the project. We will have these projects on display through Thursday so you can enjoy them as well if you plan to attend our Writer's Celebration.

We will celebrate our writing experiences on Thursday from 2:15 to 2:45. Plan on coming to the classroom at 2:15. The children will be in control of sharing their writing pieces with you. You will see a combination of formal writings (ie. personal narratives and realistic fiction). But you will also get to review their journals where they have responded to literature that we have read throughout the year. The children will also share various "fun" writings and essays that we wrote during the year about various topics that weren't part of the writing portfolio that will be passed on to the fourth grade teachers. We will have an historical acrostic poem to share and show you individaul poem books where they have a collection of several poems that they thought were cute, funny, sad, etc. I will ask that the children don't take anything home that afternoon as I need for a few of the pieces to stay with me. But you can count on the work coming home on Friday for you to keep.

The children will bring home a few things such as notebooks or papers on Thursday and a few on Friday so they aren't so overloaded on Friday. Please take a look in their homework folder before it gets put away for the summer or thrown away. I am sending home a stapled packet of math pages for review over the summer. I also going to send home an extra DLR to use on a rainy day to clean out those cobwebs right before it is time for school to begin.
You may want to hang onto the journal notebook to use over the summer for the children to write summaries. Their reading notebook has a huge list of homophones and other words that they may find helpful when they write. I am also sending home the Writing Binder which we affectionately call "Big B". I have explained to the children that they may want to safely put that away and use next year, at least at home, to keep track of good writing practices when they have assignments at home.

I look forward to another productive day on Wednesday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment