Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tip Our Hats to Tuesday.. Part 2

I wanted to mention that I am sending the Theme 2 Reading Assessment that goes along with our Voices Reading Program. The children did not complete the entire booklet and that was by my design. I was more interested in the Comprehension, Vocabulary and Word Study, and the Proofreading portions. Please do worry if your child did not get a perfect score. I do feel that I have to factor in that it is the end of the year and after ERB's, they were over bubbling in answers. But I am sending this home to give you an example of questions and activities that you can use with your child when reading at home. I like the section on Vocabulary and Word Study because it makes the children assess how to break down a word for meaning. It also has a writing idea in the back. The children do not have to read the book in order to complete a How-To story. In fact they don't have to build a snowman, they can do a How-To on any subject that they would like. But they can use the web and the pages to write down their ideas and compose a story. In conjunction with this reading assessment, I will be sending home the Wordly Wise book which leaves two stories at the end that we did not have time to complete. These can be used as well to review and practice not only oral reading but comprehension by answering the questions that connect to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment