Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Terrific Tuesday!

Thank you very much to those of you that came to our clay animation project show today. The children were so excited and thrilled to show off their talents. The children will come home with their own CD of their work. So those of you that were unable to come, will have a front row seat at home. You will be amazed!

Tonight's responsibilities include:
Math- Workbook page 203 unless they finished the work in class
Spelling-study spelling words.. dictation to come tomorrow
Reading-read the introduction pages in the Poetry book and write down 5 detailed facts about that poet.. practice reading the facts aloud at home as they will have to read these facts to the class tomorrow
Writing-proofread the third grade reflections piece that we worked on in class today...we will rewrite these in class tomorrow... if you think that they got unfocused and off topic, please steer them back to the question

We are wrapping up Chapter 8 in math. We will work on the review test tomorrow and then the test will be on Thursday. We have been working on a class ABC book for math. It has been fun finding words that begin with U, V, X,Y, Z. In fact, I had a special group of children being math detectives today. However, if you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to have your child write the word in their agenda and bring to school to share. Remember, it must relate to math and numbers.

I reviewed the Social Studies "tri-fold" project again with the children on Friday. If there are any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via email. The entire third grade will "show off" their talents on that day by putting the projects in the hallway for everyone to see.

The children will have the Idita-read celebration tomorrow. They deserve a great deal of credit for all their hard work and dedication to reading. Though the entire third grade class is receiving a treat, I just wanted you to know that our class read the most of all the classes. As much as I don't encourage competition, it was great to see them "go for it" and show that they wanted to be the best.

After the children share the facts of their poet, we will begin a short unit on poetry and take the time to compare and contrast different styles of poetry. We have done this off and on throughout the year so this activity should be somewhat easy for them. I am going to ask the chilren to compose a poem of their own after they have had a chance to really see what other poets write about. I will keep this product for their writing folder, but will send home a copy for you.

I would like to have our Writing Celebration on May 27 from 2:15 to 2:45. The social studies projects are due on May 26 so they will be on display as well. I will have the children's writing out on their desks. They will have time to show you their work and even read a story or two to you. Then you can just take them home with you from the room. It is the same day as the third grade party which is 12:00 to 1:00. That should give us time to regroup and settle and down and prepare for your visit at 2:15. If you are unable to attend, don't worry, there will be plenty of time for you to see your child's work. I will be sending most of it home. However, there will be a few pieces that will stay with me and go into their writing portfolios for next year. It would be great if you would let me know if you plan on attending that afternoon. Thanks!

Your children continue to work hard and show enthusiasm for what we are doing. I know we are ALL running out of steam, but let's try to keep the momentum going. I am so proud of each of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment