Wow! I can tell that Halloween is near. My little ghosts and goblins are certainly getting excited for not only Halloween but Fall Festival. Please make sure they get a good night's sleep tonight. We will have a very busy morning trying to get in some of the work that we will miss on Friday. The children will have their spelling test and like last week, they will have to write the rules for the Vowel Consonant -e syllable. We will review these rules in the morning before the test as well. Other homework includes:
Math- Workbook page 71
Writing- read the paragraph and combine thoughts into one sentence where appropriate. Today as a mini lesson we worked on sentence fluency. We looked at writing samples and made suggestions on how to make our sentences "flow like rivers."I then put them with a writing buddy and they were to take a paragraph that they had not seen before on rocks and rewrite it to make it "flow." The activity tonight I would really like for them to complete on their own. But when you check it, please look to see if they have combined similar sentences by using commas or connector words such as and or but.
We have read up to Chapter 8 in our class novel. The children seem to be enjoying this story of adventure and friendship. We are also reading a read aloud entitled, Who Stole the Wizard of Oz? You will want to ask your child about the mystery that needs to be solved and who has already been blamed. At some point, the children will go back to the library and check out a mystery chapter book. We will complete our first book report after we learn more about the elements of a good mystery.
We did not get a chance to completely review the Wordly Wise words this week. I will just carry this over to next week. Thus, they will not have a quiz on these words tomorrow.
We have begun our chart for the Timucua Native Americans. We are learning how to pick out key points/information and organize it for studying purposes.
I know Fall Festival will be fun on Friday. Yes, the children are to come to school dressed for the parade, but don't forget to send them with a change of clothes for the festival. After the parade, I will give the children time to change their clothes. There is usually a little down time until 10am. I will read the children a story or we may check a little work. I will release them promptly at 10am. You can meet us at the room or have your child meet you outside at a designated area. I am asking that you must sign your child out at noon back at the classroom. I will have a sign out sheet taped to the door for you to sign stating that you have your child and that you have left the premises. The children are in your care during the festival, but I need to be assured that each of my children leave with an adult. I will instruct the children that if they get separated or don't know where to go or where to find you at the end of the festival, they are to come back to the room and wait for you at the classroom door. You should still chat with your child and have a plan as to what you would like them to do when the festival is over. However, I feel it is always best to have a back up plan in case something unexpected happens. I will be mingling outside as well, but will also be in the room working from time to time. Thus the children will be able to find me.
Thank you for all your help and support. Please make sure that your child's work envelope has been signed and turned in by tomorrow. I will be needing them for next week's work.
No comments:
Post a Comment