Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Show Week!

It is imperative that the children come to school tomorrow with as much of their costume as possible. I would like to see what they have and if they need any additional pieces, we have an extra day to get ready. We were on the stage for the first time today. It's always a little scary and the children are leaving the projecting up to the microphones. But the reality is that the microphones don't solve that problem.. they have to speak up and out. So, I asked the children to come home and practice saying their lines into the mirror first so that they can have practice looking out into the audience. Then practice their lines outside or in a very large room and say their lines and see if you can hear them from some distance away.

The children are to wear their costume to school on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. They are also to bring a change of clothes (uniform) for the rest of the day. Our class picture will be taken on Wednesday after we have rehearsed to give the children a chance to change back into the school uniform.

I rediscussed the procedure on Friday. The doors will be open for you to deliver the state cake at 7:30. The children have been told that they are not to walk into our hallway that morning. They are to come around and enter the classroom from our door that faces the parking lot. It's the door we use for fire drills. We want it all to be a surprise! There should be supervision at the picnic tables beginning at 7:30. But if not, the children are to come straight to the room. Once you have delivered the cake, you will want to go ahead to the JRT to get a good seat. Our class is the first class on the left as you are facing the stage if you want to get a full view of your child.

We will not have a spelling list this week. However, we do have a Wordly Wise Quiz ( Lesson 8) on Wednesday. The children should have their workbook and the index cards to help them study tonight and tomorrow night.

Tonight for reading the children have to choose between Sojourner Truth, Winston Churchill,
and Cesar Chavez and draw a picture from a scene from the person's life that demonstrates what the cause or passion of that person was. And then down at the bottom, there are two questions about that person's point of view. They are allowed to reread the section in the reading book before they answer the question. They were encouraged to bring the book home as I didn't expect them to remember every detail that they read in class today. So if your child does not have the book with them, the activity may be a little harder than was intended. The children also have some George Washington's Socks comprehension questions to answer. I gave them a break and told them that they did not have to restate, but that I did expect them to answer in complete sentences and include details....not just 2 or 3 word answers. Again, they were encouraged to bring home the book to help with the details. We have read and discussed up to chapter 11. Please make sure that your child does not read ahead. They love this book too, but I need them to be in the same place at the same time for tomorrow activity.

In math, we are winding down our study of Geometry. I will take some time this week to review some important concepts and hope to have the test on Thursday, but Friday at the latest. We will work on a review and the children will have something at home to study. Tonight, the children are to complete the kite using a ruler, remembering the rules of symmetry. They also have an 8-point design that we completed in class. But I told them that they are allowed to color it for extra credit in a way that would demonstrate symmetry as well.

Please make sure that you sign the paper envelope. You will want to look at the papers which may indicate areas of difficulty and review needed. By now the children should know without hesitation the multiplication tables. I am continuing this review, but I know that from this point, the children will have division problems to solve as well.

I am not sure what was floating in the air today, or if just the excitement of the program finally hit, but today we were out of sorts. I am trying desperately to stick to a schedule, as we have so much important work to complete, though our mornings are completely consumed by rehearsing for the show. I will expect each child to work as diligently as they can and to make sure that they keep up with homework which will require listening attentively. Thank you for your support from home. Make sure that your child is reading at least 15 to 20 minutes every night. I have only received and handful of book logs lately.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you on Friday. I know you will very proud of your child. Be sure to bring a healthy appetite as we will have the entire country to eat. Smiles! The program begins promptly at 8:30 and should take no more than 45 minutes. We will return to the classrooms immediately following the show and wait for you to arrive and then we will begin serving the cake. Everyone is invited to enjoy the cake outside under our new shade structures. I will be sharing with the children that they are allowed two pieces, so choose wisely. We are thinking that everyone should be back in uniform and ready to continue the day by 10:15 at the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment