Monday, September 20, 2010

Marvelous Monday!

The children did a great job today at the Lower School Town Meeting. They were very insightful with their words about Peace. Tomorrow there will be a small ceremony to celebrate International Peace Day. We now have our Peace letters in the third grade hallway to remind us of what Peace means to us and how we can possibly help achieve those ideas.

Math tests will be coming home this week. I must share that the class as a whole really did understand the concepts. I also want you to know that I reviewed each section and read and explained the directions and even cautioned them to where they might make the careless mistakes if they weren't reading carefully. When you receive your child's test, you may want to review mistakes that were made either by carelessness, inattention to directions, or errors in computation. I will have done so prior to you receiving it in the weekly papers. It is most unfortunate when errors are made due to lack of proofreading and attention to detail. This class as a whole loves math and are quite capable.

This week the spelling words are examples of Diphthong Syllables. They are a little more difficult than they are used to . Tonight they have to rewrite the words in abc order on the paper that I gave them today in class. The dictation will be to write the rules of Diphthong Syllables which they have in their spelling notebook.

We will be working on the reading skill of main idea and supporting details again this week using the story of Satchel Paige. We will also work on activities that require sequencing of events to help with organizing the details of a story.

We have finished the first draft of our first third grade Personal Narratives. This week we will work on editing and revising our lead sentences and making our details become more alive by using our senses. We have also begun an additional essay on Friendship. That is our character trait for this month. The essay will be coming home tonight for you to read and to help proofread only the spelling errors. The first paragraph should discuss the top three qualities that one would like to have in a friend and why. The second paragraph should reveal at least three things that they like to do with a friend in detail. The intent was that each paragraph should be at least eight sentences long.

I hope to complete the study on Florida this week. We will touch on the two Famous Henry's. Thanks to them tourism and the railroad system flourished.

We are beginning our second Unit in Math. Tonight the children are bringing home a Parent Letter that I would like you to read to see the skills that we will cover. Today with started with Fact Families. Tomorrow we will begin to work on Fact extensions to help us add and subtract larger numbers.

We will begin to create our own personal poem booklets. Each child will design their own cover and then in their spare reading time will go through the poem books that I have in the writing section of the room. As they find a poem that is their favorite, I will make a copy of it for them to add to their own booklet. From time to time I may ask them to find a poem with a certain style. But for the most part, it's a way for them to familiar with poetry on their own time and discover their own style.

This week we go to Computer Lab on Wednesday and Thursday. I will keep you posted of those skills and projects. You may also want to check out Mrs. Baralt's blog as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment