I hope that everyone had a fun and relaxing holiday weekend. The day weekends are the best!! We are off to a great week. Tonight, the children are coming home with a new spelling list with a pattern of Closed Syllables. We are beginning a new format for reviewing spelling words that I think the children are going to really enjoy. I demonstrated in class in hopes that they don't have any problems at home. But, they are to go to the website: www.spellingcity.com. They are to enter all the spelling words by typing them correctly into the individual boxes. Once they have done this, they can go to Test Me, Teach Me and Play a Game. I would expect them to use Teach Me for words that they find more difficult first before they go to the game section. I explained to them in class today that they are allowed to go to Hang Mouse, Word Search, or Word Scramble. The expectation is that they should only do one game each night this week. Some of the activities can be printed and they can do that as well as proof that they completed the activity. This is a fun and quite educational website and I plan on using this in the classroom as well for the children that complete their work or are waiting patiently for my help in another subject area.
We will continue our work on sentence structure, kinds of sentences and nouns. In Writing Workshop, we completed making our three step outlines for at least 5 special moments. After choosing one of these ideas, we are currently working on the timeline of events that will help to build this story called a Personal Narrative. We will use this timeline to write paragraphs which will include a setting. This strategy in narrative writing will hopefully be helpful to the children to better understand what makes a good sequential narrative. We will work on this idea for at least another week and then publish it. We will attempt a second narrative and then the children will be expected to continue this process independently during writer's workshop without as much instruction from myself.
We will complete the first unit in Math. It is my goal to have the children ready to take the test by next Wednesday. As a result, you may see a little more math homework come home to make sure they receive enough review However, if your child demonstrates proficiency, then they may not have that particular homework assignment. It is my goal to have the children see the value in paying close attention in class and working to the best of their ability. No point, in practicing something they have already proven they can do in class.
We have begun our new class novel entitled, Muggie Maggie. We only began the first chapter today. But I think the children read enough to know that it's about a third grade girl that doesn't want to learn to write cursive. I have asked the children as they are reading this book to think of ways that they are like the main character and the how they would feel if they were "in her shoes".
There will be a Wordly Wise Quiz on Thursday. I felt like there has been too much down time since we last reviewed, so I will review again tomorrow and then give the quiz on Thursday to be fair.
We will complete our Science experiment tomorrow with the actual launching of the paper airplanes and comparing the flight distances between the computer paper and construction paper airplanes. We will also complete another experiment by comparing three different style and size balls by measuring the distance they bounce off of carpet and hard surface. Both of these experiments will allow the children to use their knowledge of the Scientific Method.
I am really looking forward to seeing the Geography Projects coming in tomorrow. Each child will have a chance to share their project and present their favorite geographical feature. When we share projects, I call it Museum time. So tomorrow will be our first Geography Museum. Thank you for your help and support with this project.
Tonight was also the first night since school began that they have brought home their math workbook. PLEASE make sure that your child returns to school with it tomorrow or they will be very lost and unable to participate in tomorrow's lesson.
The pillar of character this month is Friendship and how we can all be friends.. even if we have a difference of opinion. We will also celebrate International Peace Day on September 21. After reading a couple of books and exploring a couple of websites, I am going to have the children create a page on what peace means to them with an illustration. I know that they did something similar in second grade with voice threads, but I am going to encourage to choose an idea that they have not considered before. We will create a class booklet and it will be available to you during our first Writer's Workshop Celebration in a few weeks.
I will be making some changes to my blog this week. So hopefully by next Monday, you will notice a new and improved Hensler Herald. Let's hope!
No comments:
Post a Comment