Monday, September 13, 2010

Mighty Monday!

I hope everyone had a relaxing and fun weekend. There is a lot to share with you about what to expect this week.
First, I am sending home a letter about the Spelling City website. You can now access the weekly spelling list through both the blog and the website. Just follow the directions on the letter that I sent home today. The children also have a Spelling Contract of homework for the week. We discussed this in class. I told them that if they have the extra time and it is NOT a burden, then they can get ahead. This week they will be asked to rewrite the rules for Open Syllable words as a part of dictation. These rules are in their notebook. I will remind them to bring the notebook home and you may want to suggest to write these rules in their agenda. That way they have the rules to review the entire week without having to bring home the notebook each day. I have posted the spelling list for the week on the side of the blog for your convenience.

I have also sent home a Family Tree exercise that is not due until Wednesday. The roots to the tree are the names of your family. I told the children that they could add more family names on the leaves or limbs, but they are to think and write words and phrases about your family's traditions and culture. This would include foods, where your ancestors are from and then just special events that are unique to your family. We have been discussing heritage and different cultures in class. Many of the children did interview you and possibly their grandparent already. So this activity should be a little easier as they can use that information as well.

We are continuing to share our Geography Projects this week. I will be sending home an Assessment Rubric so the children can see how they followed directions. But I will keep the projects for a while in the classroom for others to see.

We will concluding our review of Unit 1 in Math. We will have a review test on Wednesday and the "real" test on Thursday. They are also coming home with a challenge activity. They have until Friday to have the elephants marching around the pyramid as the picture shows on the sheet. They are to continue folding the triangle on the black lines until the correct picture is complete.

The children will do more in-depth reading about Florida this week. It is my goal to complete the Florida book by Friday. I have some comprehension questions that are using during morning work to help guide their reading in searching for details.

Some of the children are coming home with what I call "baggy books". There are instructions inside the bag. But, the children are to read this story orally to you , not necessarily all in one night, but they are to read with expression and pay attention to each word. Then I would like them to reread the story independently(perhaps during their nightly reading) and then write a 5 sentence paragraph on loose leaf paper explaining the main idea and using 3 supporting details. This is the major reading skill that we are working on at this time. I am giving each child 3 days to complete this assignment. If your child does not have one in their bookbag today, they will eventually have one. Be on the lookout!

Don't forget to turn in their nightly reading logs. I have already had a few turned in! Way to go!!

Tomorrow is picture day! I told the children that if you wanted them to wear a part of the uniform that they are not used to wearing, that they could bring a change of shirt if they would fell more comfortable after the picture is taken. For instance, if you want you son to wear the white button down shirt, they could bring the polo shirt to change in. I asked them to make sure that they come to school neatly dressed with combed hair. I am not quite sure when our turn will be, but I will not take them out to play before the pictures. And, I know that they will do everything they can to get the pictures in before lunch.

Our special moment stories are in full bloom this week. We will be working on these stories for at least a week and then we will move on to another personal narrative. You may want to ask your child their first topic of choice.

We are really working on Active Listening. The children do need to pay attention and follow directions once they are given. You may want to consider giving 2 and 3 directions at a time and not repeating so that they can begin to become accustomed to keeping track of what they have to remember. I find that they are easily distracted by themselves. I did not realize that all the things in their desks were so appealing and interesting! Smiles!

Thank you for all of your support and help. This week I will add some new responsibilities which means that they may have more to keep up with at home and at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment