Wow! It's hard to believe it's the first day of December. I feel like the shoppers countdown in that it's the Winter Break countdown and we have much to learn. Please make sure that the children are reviewing and learning their multiplication tables. They will have a quiz on 0's- 3's by Friday.
The children will have a Wordly Wise Quiz on Lesson 4 tomorrow. These words include: average, border, cocoon, flutter, moisture, moist, nectar, process, span, suitable, timber. Make sure that all the definitions are studied and especially those words that have more than one definition.
Today I gave the children a language arts project. I have given them until Friday to complete. The project should be completed in two steps. First, the children must look up a few vocabulary words in the dictionary and write the definition from the dictionary, not their own made up definition. Then they must apply that knowledge to the paragraph that is attached to the words to draw an accurate picture using all the details in the paragraph. I have thoroughly reviewed this activity with the class. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to email me.
We worked on skimming and scanning today in class. I wanted the children to understand the difference in reading for meaning and then reading to locate quick information. They may come home today and ask you if you know how to skim or scan.
We have one more Floridian Native American group, Apalachee, to study. The children have begun planning the mural that they are going to create on the covers of their booklet. The mural is to illustrate at least one aspect of each group that they have learned. The cover and the work inside of the folder is their participation grade. I will not give be giving them a test. They have learned a great deal, but it would be unfair and perhaps inappropriate at this stage for me to expect them to reatin all that they have learned over the last threee months. I will have them complete a writing assignment about this unit of study, but they will be allowed to use all their information in their folder while writing. They should be able to produce an informative piece of writing.
We will be learning about metaphors and similes this week so that we are prepared for our class project in computer class this week. I will also begin working on tenses of verbs, present and past with the use of have and has. (For example: begin, began, begun)
We have completed our first Theme in Reading. The last story was a great story to review and master the skill of fact and opinion. You will want to ask your child about the little Native American girl, Janell. Ask them what they think Janell was the most proud of in her culture.
If you have not returned your child's report card, please so so by tomorrow. I would like to get these turned into the office to be filed.
I do hope everyone had a relaxing and joyful Thankgiving holiday! Thank you again for all the parents that planned our wonderful feast!
No comments:
Post a Comment