Welcome moms and dads to Third Grade! I wanted to give you an update and share some things that we have been doing over the last couple of days. We have been busy getting our desks organized, learning the new rules of the classroom, and getting to know our classmates during our morning meeting. I will send a blog home once a week to share our learning objectives and give suggestions on how to help our child at home.
We started math today using our number sense and reviewing basic addition facts. Then the children practiced counting in a sequence into the hundreds and thousands. I was very impressed with their adding and subtracting ability. We also read a math adventure entitled, Once Upon a Dime. You will want to ask your child how the tree bloomed with different kinds of fertilizer, especially when Farmer worth used bull chips. Tomorrow they will create their own flower using a dime.
After watching a Brainpop on writing a friendly letter, the children wrote a letter to me telling me a little about themselves inside and outside of school. I also asked to write a little bit about their favorite summer experience. I loved reading the letters and look forward to learning about your child in other writing pieces.
On the first day of school, I read the book, You Are Special but Max Lucado. You will want to ask your child was the lesson or the message behind this story and the importance of the dots and stars. It is a lovely story about a little wooden boy, Punchinello, who feels like he is not good enough or special enough. But he discovers in the end that he is special as we all are no matter what we can and can't do. We used this story to springboard into a conversation about feelings and how easily ones feelings can be hurt by using the wrong words. One of our classroom goals this year is for each child to compliment a classmate's work or manners at least once a day.
If you are reading this blog, then you have successfully completed your homework assignment for the evening. The children's job was to let you know that you needed to try and get to the blog. There are some things I need to update for this year which I hope to get completed next week.
I look forward to seeing everyone at Back To School night next Thursday. I will have lots to share!
I told the children to look for a question. Once they have read the question, have them put the answer in their agenda on Friday's date.
Cheers to you for sending me such delightful children!
No comments:
Post a Comment