I hope everyone had an enjoyable long weekend. The children have been a little sluggish but overall seem ready for another week of learning.
Thank you to all of you for contributing to our clothes drive for the people of Haiti. We have quite an assortment of clothes and even shoes. Mrs. Confident, the school nurse, and I will get these items to her church on Wednesday. Our hearts go out to everyone in Haiti.
We have a full week this week. One of the highlights is that the children will spend 45 minutes visiting the band room and getting acquainted with the various instruments in a band. Shorecrest had its Winter Concert last week and so the children are excited to learn more about the band.
The Spelling words this week deal with long and short vowel sounds with single or double consonant letters in the middle of the word. Of course this effects the pronunciation of the word. The children are coming home with two lists. One that is written in cursive and one that is the result of classwork today. It organizes the words into long and short vowel sounds. They should practice not only spelling the words, but pronouncing the words as well.
We missed our normal library time on Monday so we went today. I asked the children to check out a biography. I will be reviewing the project associated with this book in the next couple of days. For now, I just wanted the children to concentrate on reading the book. You may want to take a look at the book and see if there are any sections that you would be able to help your child understand more in depth. I did tell the children that when it comes time to write the report, that they may also rely on the internet for research, with parental permission. I will send home the project with questions that they will need to answer in the report along with the due date and cover requirements. They can use their biography book as a part of their nightly reading until they are finished with the book.
The children will have their verb tense quiz tomorrow. The reading quiz took longer than anticipated. They will be asked to write the past tense and the helping very have and has tense.
I hope to have the program parts in the childrens' hands by the end of the day tomorrow. They have been told "who they are" but they do not have the lines yet. I will tell you that there is a great deal of singing and so I have tried to impress upon the children that they have more than just one or two speaking lines. The songs tell an important story as well.
The practice 9's test will be tomorrow as well. I hope they have had a chance to visit the website that I sent home last week. It has some really good math games that are very appropriate and great for review and reinforcement.
No comments:
Post a Comment