Monday, October 15, 2012

Wide Awake on Monday!

The children certainly got some rest over their long weekend. We were quite lively today!  I know this will be another full week, so the more energy they have the better!!!

This week, our spelling list includes words that have a sound that is spelled with either a K or CK. Tonight for homework, the children are to put the words in alphabetical order on the sheet provided. The words are: black, cheek, crack, mark, sock, smoke, duck, check, blink, sunk, make , brick, blanket, spooky, market, rocket, milk, snack, neck,  and sick.

Today we worked on identifying subjects and predicates in sentences in hopes of seeing how a good detailed sentence is formed. Once we found the complete predicate, we focused on the main verb and made decisions on whether or not the verb gave a good mental picture of the what the subject was doing in the sentence and if it didn't, what other word we could choose.

This week we will continue with our Charlotte's Web reading. We are going to focus on details from the story that make the story move along in the book. We will store our details in a paper bag puppet of Wilbur which will later become the main prop for writing their own scripts for certain events in the book.

Today, we completed our Pumpkin Science experiment. You will want to ask your child if our pumpkin floated and how, or if it sank. We are going to extend the experiment by getting a larger container that will hold more water. Your child may also ask you for some corn oil and maple syrup to complete and experiment that we discussed to day in class. Don't forget the Science project is due on October 19. I can't wait to see their Simple Machine creation!

Instead of the traditional reading comprehension activities this week, the children are coming home with a poem entitled, A Halloween Scene. They have to answer 10 short questions, create and illustrate a scene that represents the poem as much as possible, and then complete a crossword puzzle using the bolded words from the poem. This reading activity is due on Wednesday. I encouraged them to at least complete the questions and plan out the picture tonight. They also have a poem that will be recited in front of the class by October 19. I an going to share with the children that they don't have to wait until Friday to recite the poem if they are prepared ahead of time. They just to let me know in the morning so I can find small windows of time for them to present.

I will hopefully be sending home our Poetry in the Park poem by early next week. I always try to find a fun poem that hasn't been performed by my class before. So I am on the search!!!  Once I have successfully found a poem, I will send it home for the children to begin learning the words. We will work on the "feeling" part of the poem in school. There may a prop or two, but I will certainly let you know that as well  once the poem has been chosen.

Tomorrow in Math, we will check over some work that we did today and take a practice math test for Unit 2. We will review the test and should have plenty of time for the children to ask questions. The children have learned three strategies to add and subtract large numbers. They have also learned with the help of a diagram, how to organize informtion/numbers in a word problem.  I will give the Unit 2 math test on Wednesday.

This week, the children will divide up into groups according to their interest in a topic. We are going to take the main topic of Florida, which we have already been reading and learning about. But then under the main topic there will be sub-topics such as animals, places to visit, and important landforms. The children in each group will be given a small amount of time to complete research on their one topic. Then they will plan how that can share that information with the rest of the class. I am going to try and give them as much time in class that I can, but they may have to continue some of the work at home as homework. I will keep you posted!

Please make sure your child has turned in ALL the Fall Festival forms and money this week. Also, please make sure that your child knows who is coming that day and how they are getting home. There will be a sign up sheet on my classroom door that day. Each child should be with an adult and must be signed out that day before they are allowed to leave the classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment