Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Terrific Tuesday!

What a lovely day inside and outside!  The children worked well today and we all enjoyed our time outside enjoying the beautiful day! It was such a lovely way to begin the week after so much sadness last week.

As you know, this week is a short week. Tomorrow is the big Fall Festival and the children are so excited. The children should be prepared for tomorrow and I would encourage you to ask them to see how much they remember. But just in case, here are a few guidelines. The children are to come to school in costume. We will have to complete a little morning work before we prepare for the parade at 8:30. Once the parade festivities are over, we will return back to the classroom and the children will change into their spirit clothes to be more comfortable. I shared with the children that they cannot be released until 10:00am when as adult signs them out. If your child is going to leave with another adult tomorrow, I will need a note from you. Thank you for your help. It is so important that the children are safe and under supervision. I did let the children know that if at any time, they become separated or the "plan" falls apart, then they are to return to the room and I will help them. I know tomorrow will be great fun and then it's onto Halloween night!  I would prefer the children not bring any candy to school on Thursday.

We have much to accomplish this week despite  less time in the classroom. We will continue with our Personal Narratives and then begin our Poetry unit. I do hope to have a couple of Poetry samples by Poetry in the Park. The children will be coming home with their poem to learn tomorrow. We will have a week to learn the poem as Poetry in Park is November 8. I hope you will be able to come!!

Spelling words this week are only 16 strong, but very important. They are plurals that even sometimes adults misspell.

We are finishing up Charlotte's Web. The children are writing scripts to depict one scene from the book. We have a reflection to write and share and then we will be ready to move on to our next class novel, 7*9= Trouble. The children will be more independent in reading this book and working more closely with a reading buddy. I will have several lessons on how to be a reading buddy and how to manage time and producing quality work together.

In Math this week we are learning more about Perimeter and Area as well as Diameter and Circumference. Tonight for homework they are to complete pages 65 and 66. I did give them class time to begin these two pages so I could help them if needed.

Tonight's responsibilities include:
Spelling... abc order on the sheet...they are allowed to write the words in cursive if they want to
Witches Homonym Sheet... circle all the incorrectly used homonyms
Reading Comprehension...Thomas Jefferson and The Big Cheese.. due on Friday and don't forget to sign
Math...Workbook pages 65, 66

I will be busy preparing report cards over the next couple of weeks. I will have many papers that will be coming home. Make sure you look closely at the comments that I sometimes make on papers so that you will know what I would like your child to remember the next time they need to complete an assignment.

Happy Halloween Eve!




No comments:

Post a Comment