Monday, April 2, 2012

No April Fools!

Tomorrow is a big day! We begin our WraP , the writing portion of the ERB test. We will spend two days writing, revising, editing, and publishing stories. We will work an hour tomorrow and then an hour on Wednesday. I have explained to the children that they will work for a solid hour They can't just finished in 15 minutes and tell me that they are "done". Once they receive the topic for tomorrow's prompt, they will plan and begin writing the story. The second day they will revise and edit and publish. I will keep them on a time schedule so that they don't get to the end and don't have time to publish. I asked each of them to bring two #2 sharpened pencils with good erasers on them. I also asked them to make sure they are well rested. I think that some were still groggy from the weekend's events.

Homework will be light this week. Tonight's responsibilities are as follows:
Spelling... write each word in cursive on the sheet provided
Math...Workbook page 178 and a Shamrock challenge that is due on Wednesday
Look in the homework folder for a Celebrate the Arts letter

We will probably have a math test toward the end of the week. However, we will spend plenty of class time reviewing the skills.

The boys and girls will use their creativity one more time for the benefit of the community. Each child will design and illustrate a spring mural on a place mat that will be laminated and given to the Meals on Wheels organization. All the third grade children did this in January and we received many thank you notes from the recipients. It would bring a tear to your eye to read some of the thank you notes in telling us how we made their day and loved using the decorated place mats.

We are beginning a new writing genre known as Real-Fantasy-Real. Once we complete our Wrap work we will begin this writing unit.

Our next class novel is Skylark which is the sequel to Sarah, Plain, and Tall. I may have the children bring this book home for homework to complete a couple of assignments. Thus, they can count the reading of this book on their nightly book log.

No comments:

Post a Comment