Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Day in Third Grade!

This was a GREAT first day! As anticipated, we didn't get to every rule and procedure. But that will come in the next few days. I am sure you will want to learn about the first day. You may want to ask your child questions about the Mind Reading Game, the Day at the Beach picture and of course the stories that I read. We ended the day with a book entitled, You Are Special, by Max Lucado. Ask your child about the stars and dots and what the lesson of the story was and how it relates to their own life. Of course recess was the most fun as they all got to hug and play with their other classmates from other classrooms.

We did organize our desks with out materials and books today. Some of the supply boxes are too big for the desks so I asked them to take them home and use at home, but to try and get a small plastic rectangular one that fits in the desks or use a soft zipper pouch. The children were to write down anything that they needed to bring. So, please check the agenda!

Thank you to all of you that went to the blog last night and saw the swimming fish. The children were so eager to share their findings. Tonight for homework they are to show you the agenda as well as write a birth date of a relative. They should explain to you that it's for the Mind Reading Game that we played. They are trying to "stump" me. Mr. Murphy even visited our classroom today and he couldn't "stump" me either. I was able to guess his birth date. The children were fascinated that I was even "smarter" than Mr. Murphy. Smiles!

Please make sure that I have the Handbook Form and all your email addresses by tomorrow if at all possible. I would like to go ahead and complete and class list. Many thanks!

I did not go over this with the class but will do so tomorrow. However, we do have a snack time mid-morning. This is not to be more than one item and as I tell the children, it should be a juicy snack or a cracker/pretzel type snack. No candy, no sandwiches, etc. unless there is a special reason for your child to be eating these items. Snack time is meant to be quick and shouldn't require a great deal of preparation in the class. If the fruit or vegetables need to be sliced or cut, please do that at home prior to coming to school. I would like the children to have their snack in a separate ziploc bag so they don't spend a lot of time digging around in the backpack or locker. They are allowed to bring a water bottle that they can take with them out on the playground at recess and at PE.

I did review the rules of dress code. Tomorrow is our first Spirit Day. Just make sure it is all appropriate spirit wear items listed in the handbook.

Today was a lovely first day! Thank you for sending me all the bright smiling faces! We are off to a great start for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment