Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wonderful Wednesday!

I realize that this is a short week and it's already Wednesday, but I had some important information to share with you to prepare for the coming days.

Tonight you will find a multiplication game in your child's homework folder. The directions are on the back and all one needs is 2 dice and some game pieces or chips. I even suggested that dimes and pennies could be used for game pieces as well. You can decide if your child wins, if they get to keep the money or not. It might be a good incentive to learn the multiplication tables. HA! I have reviewed the directions with the children, so I hope they will be able to teach you.

Please mark your calendar. Our field trip is Thursday, January 31 to the Tampa History Center. The children are going to love all the artifacts and interactive activities that the museum provides. I will ask the children to make sure they are neatly dressed on that day. I usually like my girls to wear their dresses and for the boys to make sure they have belts and long pants on with either a collared shirt or the polo shirt. We will probably leave school around 9:15am and return around 1:30. We do plan on having lunch at the museum. Thank you for returning the forms. Just remember that is you did not want Sage to prepare a bag lunch, that your child needs to make sure they have a packed lunch and include a a bottled water.

As you know, this Friday is Grandparent's Day. The children are very excited to have their grandparent or special friend visit our school. The children will share their Response Journals and their Native American projects. The children are also responsible for escorting their grandparent/special friend around the Lower School including the library if there is time. We will discuss a plan for the tour in school on Thursday. However, I need your help in making sure that your child knows the "plan" for dismissal. If you would like your child to leave with their grandparent/special friend, I will need a note indicating your permission. Your child must be checked/signed out if they do plan on leaving prior to dismissal.  I would prefer to not be surprised at the last minute as to what your child needs to do at dismissal. There is a noon dismissal and I will escort the children to carline at that time.

It was intended that today was to be our Warm Up to a Good Book Day. The children were allowed to wear their bedroom slippers and bring either hot cocoa, hot tea, or hot cider in a thermos. Several of the children were not prepared today, so we have decided to extend the fun to tomorrow as well.

Please check your emails. I sent an email today regarding the Third Grade Program. It would be great if you can come next Tuesday, January 29, at 11:30 to begin planning for the big event.

The Native American projects are almost completed. WOW... the children have done a great job!! I will be taking pictures during the presentations and will post the pictures on the blog for you to enjoy.

We have completed our class novel, Stone Fox. The children really enjoyed the book despite the sad ending. Once we  complete a couple of writing activities, we will move on to our next realistic fiction book, Sarah, Plain and Tall.  The children will continue their partner work where they will plan their reading meetings and create their own goals.

We have moved onto Lesson 9 in Wordly Wise. The words are as follows: attitude, confess, defend, gradual, hint, individual, malice, misery, malicious, miserable, solution, and survey. The comprehension piece that accompanies these words is about Bullying.

We have successfully completed our review of all the letters of the alphabet both lower and upper case in cursive. We will spend another week reviewing the letters in isolation and then the fun begins. I will begin to require the children complete certain assignments in cursive.

We will begin to write our first Realistic Fiction piece during writing workshop. I wanted the children to have experience reading an example of a realistic fiction before we began creating our own.

This week the children do have a reading activity, The Smuggler,  due on Friday. This week the objective is to recognize when a speaker changes in a story and observe how the writer demonstrates that change.  This will help them later once they begin writing their own realistic story.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week! Thank you for your continued support!









No comments:

Post a Comment