Monday, October 3, 2011

Love This Weather Monday!

What a marvelous weekend! I hope everyone was able to get out and enjoy the incredible weather!

I know the children are excited about not having school on Thursday. And to top it off... the Rays are in town!!! I have told the children that if the Rays win tonight, they will not have any written work for homework on Tuesday night. They are also allowed to wear their Rays shirts but with uniform bottoms to school on Tuesday as well. Go Rays!

We are continuing our study of simple machines. The simple machine creations are due this Friday. They are to make sure they have followed the directions of the project. Included with their creation should be a written portion on loose leaf that explains the following:
1) Statement of the problem ( what kind of work is made easier by this simple machine)
2) How the problem was solved ( steps on how the simple machine was created)
3) Conclusion ( does the machine work and how does it function to make the work easier)
I told the children that the creation should be no bigger than a shoe box.

As with every week, we have a new list of spelling words. However, this week I am giving the dictation to them ahead of time. They will write these sentences into their notebooks tomorrow morning. The sentences are to be reviewed each night. You may want the children to practice writing these sentences on loose leaf paper prior to the test on Friday. They are as follows:
1) Isn't it awful that they put garbage in the bushes?
2) I don't see who's going to take care of the children.
3) You've got to stretch your legs before you play in the game.
4) They've matched the bows to the costumes.

We are completing our Math unit. Tonight the children are to complete pages 48 and 49 as a review. We will review all skills and complete a practice test tomorrow. The Unit 2 Math test will be on Wednesday.

We are continuing our study of Simple Machines this week and should be winding up our project in the computer lab. I am going to give the children time in class to make flash cards using the key words for simple machines with definitions included. I will ask the children to bring the flash cards home to study. They will have a quiz on these words on Friday.

Today they are bringing home a VERY important letter about Fall Festival. There are several forms that require reading and signing. I have explained to the children that is VERY important that they have a plan for dismissal on that day and they will have to stay with me if they do not bring back the form filled out and signed by you. Believe me, that is not a wonderful consequence for them on a day like Fall Festival. Smiles!!! I was joking, but they got the message!

I look forward to meeting with you all on Thursday. I will focus on work and study habits, relationships with classmates and certain subject areas that may need additional support. Thank you for sending me such eager learners!!!

The children are allowed to wear their Ray spirit shirts tomorrow but with the uniform bottoms. Also, I have informed the children that if the Rays do win tonight, that there will be no written homework, but obviously there are study type responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment