Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wow.. it's Wednesday!

Thank you all very much for coming to Back to School Night. I enjoyed meeting all of you and look forward to a productive and fun third grade year. I appreciate your attentiveness and your kind words at the end of the evening. If you have thought of any additional questions since last night, please don't hesitate to email me. Of course, as always I did forget a few things, but will share them with you as they are appropriate in the curriculum. However, I would like to remind you that we expect the children to come to school dressed according to uniform code. This also means that if their pants have belt loops, they need to wear a belt. When they walk in the front door in the morning, they need to have their shirts tucked in.

I didn't really discuss math last night. The program is similar to what you were used to in second grade. Everyday Math follows the same approach no matter what grade level. However, the topics of study do change. The big skill in third grade are the multiplication and division tables. Though we are not addressing those skills now, they can go ahead and begin practicing with flash cards. This will help tremendously once we do get to that skill. Please make sure you read the Family Letters that come home. Not only does it include important vocabulary associated with that unit, it actually gives you the answers to the Home Links which may be of great help down the road.

The spelling test will be on Friday. Please make sure that they review the words even if they are already an expert in spelling them.

They are bringing home a piece of white tagboard tonight. I have reviewed this with the children, but I wanted to share the details with you as well. This tagboard will go inside the front sleeve of their writing folder. They are decorate it with pictures or cut out pictures from magazines or computer of things, people and places that are special to them. They can first cover the tagboard with other colorful paper including wallpaper if you have some. Then they are to make a collogue of pictures that are unique to them. This will really personalize their writing binder in hopes that they take great pride in what goes inside.

As we get closer to the date, I will remind you of your conference time. Thank you again for coming last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment